Have you tried Coconut Oil? I discovered it while I was pregnant with my daughter and slowly starting incorporating it into our lifestyle. I started cooking with it first, then I used it to treat diaper rash and as a moisturizer for dry winter skin. Then I found myself thinking about coconut oil when I had a burn and then again when I was scratching my mosquito bites until they bled. Coconut Oil helped soothe both of those irritations. I started researching my new found obsession and this is what I found…..Coconut Oil is antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antimicrobial. It’s a natural treatment for many ailments and has many common household uses. I prefer an organic, unrefined type of Coconut Oil. This is the least processed oil and contains the most natural nutrients. Coconut Oil is rather inexpensive and I keep a jar in my pantry and in my medicine cabinet. I’ve compiled a list of my 50 favorite uses for Coconut Oil. Many of these I have tried myself, but if I haven’t tried them myself, I included them because they amazed me. I’m adding Coconut Oil to my arsenal of favorite natural products, right next to my Organic ACV and Organic Honey. I love inexpensive, natural remedies that have multiple uses. If you haven’t already, check out my Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey posts. It’s pretty amazing what these natural products can do for you!
As you all know, I recently partnered with the same Doctors who created Proactiv. They are now doing for aging what they did for acne. In my Rodan + Fields business kit, I received a Vitamin D supplement and it peaked my interest. I thought to myself, why did they include a Vitamin D supplement? I had heard that Vitamin D is good for your hair, skin and nails, but I had never researched it or thought much more about it until I saw it in my new consultant kit. Curious and wanting to educate myself, so I can educate my clients, I have been researching the facts about Vitamin D. I’ve gathered my findings and I will share them with you. Now I’m no Doctor, so consult your Doc for more information, or “Google” Vitamin D for yourself and do your own research.
As promised, a follow-up to my original post about honey. Another all natural miracle product that I can’t live without! Do yourself a favor and go take a tsp of honey right now!
See my original post about honey for even more health benefits!
- Honey is a natural product that heals and cures all kinds of diseases without any harmful side effects. Safe for diabetic patients when taken in the right dosage and even children like the taste of it.
- Honey & cinnamon are a lethal combination when mixed together. The combination can reduce cholesterol, relieve arthritis pains, cure a bladder infection, kick a cold to the curb, ease a stomach ache, relieve gas pains, strengthen the immune system, soothe a sore throat, cure skin infections, aid in healthy weight loss, reduce fatigue and help restore hearing.
- Honey contains flavonoids and antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
- Hangover cure when mixed with orange juice.
- Honey balances the 5 elements in your body which are the kidneys, liver, heart, stomach and lungs.
- Honey can promote relaxation and help you sleep. Taking a spoonful before bed can help you get a restful sleep.
- Honey increases athletic performance. The glucose found in honey combined with the natural sugars can provide a boost to athletes instead of consuming refined sugars and high fructose corn syrup.
- Honey’s anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce the itch and irritation of bug bites or other skin conditions.
- Honey can help relieve asthma symptoms by taking it orally or put 1/2 a cup of honey in a basin of hot water and make a towel tent over your head and breath in the honey steam.
- Honey is a laxative so it helps relieve constipation.
- Gargle in the morning with warm water, honey can fight bad breath and clean your mouth and gums, helping to prevent gum disease.
- Honey can help with impotence in men and infertility problems in women.
- Honey helps reduce fat buildup and metabolize cholesterol which will aid in weight loss. Honey contains many vitamins and minerals that the body needs when you are on a diet.
- Honey contains the following vitamins which each do so much for your body; B2, B6, B3, H, B, K and Carotene
- Honey is an alkaline food which is good for those who need to reduce the acidity in their bloodstream.
Raw, unheated, organic honey is the best for you because it contains all of the natural vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants that can be lost in filtered and heated honey that’s commonly found at your grocery store. Look for honey at your farmers market or health food store.
This information is based on research I conducted myself from various sources. Consult your doctor or perform your own research if you are unsure about adding honey to your daily routine. Honey is not safe for infants under 1 year of age.
I’m sleep deprived and caring for a very sick baby today. He’s got a virus with many sores in his mouth (very painful) he’s finally sleeping and while I’m still wired from how much coffee I drank today, I thought I’d blog about the one thing that got us all a little sleep last night…..honey. Honey is like ACV in its antibacterial and healing qualities. Here are my favorite benefits for honey, starting with what gave my son some relief last night.
– Honey soothes burns, sores and wounds
– Honey has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal qualities that help heal
– Local honey can aid in reducing allergies
– Soothes sore throats and reduces coughs
– Honey is moisturizing and gentle on skin. Natural acne treatment
– Reduces ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders
– Natural sweetner that gives your body powerful antioxidants
– A tbls of honey will give you an energy boost
– Probiotic, promotes healthy digestion
– Regulates blood sugar and blood pressure
I know there are many more benefits to honey, but my tired brain has used up all of its energy today. There’s sure to be a follow up post with more honey benefits, but until then share the ones you know with me here!
*Honey is not safe for children under 1 year of age*
You could say that I’m obsessed with Apple Cider Vinegar, it’s very fascinating to me that such a simple product can have so many benefits. Here’s a follow up to my first post about ACV which focused mostly on the internal health benefits. This post will cover a more broad range of benefits.
– Rich in ash which gives ACV its alkaline property. This aids your body in maintaining a proper pH level for a healthy alkaline state.
– Gargling ACV helps remove stains, whiten teeth and kill bacteria in your mouth and gums.
– Sipping vinegar water can help soothe tummy troubles. Its antibacterial properties can help clear up bacterial infections.
– A tsp of ACV can cure hiccups.
– Vinegar water with a little honey can help prevent nighttime leg cramps.
– An elixir with ACV can boost your immune system and ward off a cold (see homemade elixir recipe). It can also ease symptoms after you have a cold.
– Helps remove build up on hair from styling products. Leaves hair strong and shiny. Mix 1/3 cup of ACV with 4 cups of water and pour over hair after shampooing. Leave on for a few seconds and rinse with cold water.
– Acne treatment – one part ACV to three parts water. Apply solution to your face and leave it there for 10 minutes. Rinse. This can be repeated up to three times a day.
*Homemade Elixir Recipe*
This is a great immunity booster to ward off a cold and it works after you have a cold to clear up your symptoms. Research the health benefits for each ingredient. It will blow you away!
* 1 tbls organic ACV
* 1 tbls raw/local honey
* 1 tbls water
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/4 tsp ground ginger
* 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Dissolve spices in vinegar and water. Stir in honey. Mix well. Take 1 tbls daily for immunity booster or take 1 tbls three times a day to ease cold symptoms. I do not suggest giving this to children, for adults only! Leave in a air tight container at room temp. for 3-4 days.
I consider myself a “normal” person (whatever that means). I have the same emotions that everyone else has…..happy, sad, mad, etc, etc. But I had one emotion that would eat at me to my core……jealousy. I’ve never met a person who hasn’t been jealous before. You get jealous over silly things like a friend getting a new car, a family member receiving more praise, someone flirting with your spouse or even a co-worker getting a promotion. Jealousy is a natural feeling in us as humans, but how you deal with that feeling is up to you.
I use to harbor my jealousy; if I was jealous of something then I would ignore it and not give it any of my attention. I would keep my thoughts bottled up inside. I wish I could say that I quickly learned dealing with jealousy this way only ate me up inside, but I can’t because it took me a long time to realize this. It took me so long because I didn’t know how to deal with it. No one ever tells you how to deal with your jealous thoughts. I was jealous of many things as a child, being young and naive, but it continued into my adult life. I was never able to let go of that jealous feeling I would get and free myself of my unwanted misery. I’ve always been happy with my life; I had a wonderful childhood, loving parents, as an adult I have a wonderful husband, a loving family, great friends and more than I could ever need. I’d often ask myself WHY are you jealous? I finally discovered that I didn’t in fact actually want whatever I found myself jealous over, it was the fact that people were doing and getting what they wanted and I necessarily wasn’t. In that moment, I decided that being jealous wasn’t my problem; my problem was not going after or doing what I wanted. I started thinking of things I enjoyed doing, rewarding things that would fill my void that created my jealousy. I started crafting, making homemade gifts and things for my home. I started challenging myself to doing things I had never done before. I “let go” of the jealous thoughts in my head and filled them with ideas and aspirations. I didn’t want anyone else’s life, or car, or job, or whatever it was I was finding myself jealous over. I wanted their drive to achieve what they/I wanted. If only I had realized that much sooner…..but it’s never too late to change, right?
The point of this post is to help people understand that jealousy is a natural feeling, but how you are interpreting your jealousy is often misunderstood. I wish I had read something like this years ago to open my eyes and relieve me of my misery a long time ago, but sometimes it takes something happening in your life to “wake you up” so to speak, and now that I’m awake, I’m happier than ever! Next time the “Green Eyed Monster” rears it’s ugly head, ask yourself, am I jealous over the actual item or am I jealous about how they achieved that item? If it’s jealousy with your spouse, talk to them about it. Are you jealous because you aren’t getting enough attention? Figuring out the root of your jealousy can change your life. Honesty is the best policy (not to be cliché), but when you are honest you never have to remember what you’ve said because the truth in your head is the truth that you speak. I now live with an open mind and an open heart. I’m honest and much happier living this way. I can congratulate someone on their success without a jealous thought in my head because I’m happy with my own success and I want others to succeed. I can praise others without feeling jealous because I now praise myself. I can celebrate an exciting moment with a friend because I truly want them to be happy, to have the happiness that I’ve found in myself. Jealousy can blind you, remove you from reality and make you do things that you will regret. Become in control of your life, set your own destiny and fly!
My advice is to live your life the way it makes you happy. At the end of the day, those seated at your dinner table with you are the people who matter the most. If you are happy with yourself, with them, with your life, with your family, then you are living the right way. Celebrate your own success, congratulate yourself and live your life for you. Life is too short to live it any other way!
Steps to overcome jealousy;
Admitting that you are jealous
Thinking about why you are feeling jealous
Reminding yourself about the good things in your life. Remember “The grass ain’t always greener on the other side, it’s green where you water it”. “Water” the area’s that need “watering”.
Focusing on positive things that make you happy and are rewarding to you
Reaching out to someone to talk about your feelings of jealousy. Don’t keep it bottled up inside
Yes, it’s true, you can do this workout ANYWHERE….well anywhere you feel comfortable doing it. All you need is an open area where you can crank out some moves. No exercise equipment needed. My husband told me this is called “circuit training”, I call it “all I have time for” or my “mom workout”. I know I can always find 20 minutes in my day to do these moves, and I always feel much better after I do. Customize this to what area’s you want to target. I want to target my thighs, butt and abs and I came up with this combo by researching different exercises online. I’m not posting any pictures, just the names of the moves. If you don’t know what they are, I suggest looking them up online. Want more upper body moves then incorporate those in…..shorten the workout on days you are pressed for time and extend it on days where you have more time, add it to your cardio workout. Make it work for YOU! I’ve lost over an inch in each thigh and 4 inches in my waist that I can attribute to these exercises and my low carb lifestyle.
Here’s my routine;
I do the full set of exercises in the same order 3 times and it takes approx 20 minutes. Turn on some music, something up-beat. Do some stretches to loosen up and hit the floor!
- 25 jumping jacks (get that heart pumping)
- 15 push ups (this engages your abs and helps tone your arms, chest and back)
- Pointed Toe Lifts – 20 per leg (Butt, inner & outer thighs)
- Combined roll up & leg drop – 10 (lie on your back with arms above your head flat against the ground, legs straight against the ground, roll up with your arms pointed straight and lift your legs with toes pointed simultaneously. Meet your hands to your legs and roll back down flat, repeat 9 more times – targets lower abs)
- I don’t have a name for this move so I’m giving you a link….I do all phases listed, 20 per leg. http://www.t-tapp.com/articles/legs/index.html
- 10 lunges OR 10 squats (these are killer for your butt and thighs, I go back and forth – lunges one day and squats the next)
Repeat all moves 2 more times.
After you finish, stretch it out again and I always finish with a “Hip Flexor” stretch that aligns your spine and will help eliminate that lower belly “pooch”.
I have to give Pinterest credit for this one, but it really does work. 2 simple ingredients mixed together leave your skin feeling soft and looking younger. The nutmeg helps stimulate the healing process of the skin which aids in reducing the appearance of acne scars and creates scar prevention. The honey is a natural antibacterial and raw honey contains enzymes that can gently exfoliate the skin. The honey & nutmeg together create a wonderful, gentle exfoliating power that leaves your skin looking refreshed!
What you need;
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp honey (raw is best)
Mix the 2 ingredients together (you want it to be thick so it doesn’t drip off your face). Make sure your face is clean and dry. Spread the mixture all over your face and leave on for 30 minutes, lightly scrub before rinsing and follow-up with moisturizer.
This is a great “free” facial since most of us will have these ingredients at home.
If you’ve read my “Healthy Me” page, then you know that I take Apple Cider Vinegar as a daily supplement to my diet. You can take it two ways, in the form of a tablet or in liquid form. I suggest diluting it with water if you take it in liquid form. Whichever way you decide, you will be doing your body a favor. Here are my top 10 benefits to taking Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Balances the inner ecosystem
- Detoxes the body
- Helps aid in healthy weight loss
- Cures allergies, sinus infections, headaches, flu and other ailments
- Clears acne, dermatitis, warts, varicose veins and other skin problems
- Lowers high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- Kills Candida and fungus, helps populate the gut with friendly microflora
- Eases arthritis, stiff joints and gout
- Strengthens stomach acid (aiding in heartburn relief)
- Lowers glucose levels